Friday, September 24, 2010

Punched tin- another UFO

This year my soldier boy and I celebrated our ten year anniversary. We decided to be low key about it. Ten years is the gift of aluminum or tin. I thought it would be fun to do something with aluminum or tin as a themed gift.
I walked thru the hardware store looking for ideas. I walked down an isle of these


I knew just what I wanted to do. I found one that opened up so I could flatten it out and one that wasn't too thick so I could actually do something with it.
I found an image and learned how to reverse images on a Mac (without my husbands help).
Back in the day Toy Story one had just come out. As we looked at ourselves in the mirrors moments after we were married my soldier boy looped his arm thru mine as he pointed a finger upward, he whispered in my ear "To infinity and beyond!" So I chose to frame the image of the temple we were sealed in with those very words.
I gathered these tools

An embossing tool, my very own tin snips, and a 4lb hammer.
I taped my reverse images to the backside of my aluminum venting and started hammering my image into the venting.

I taped it down to a board knowing it would take me a while to finish and didn't want to have anything move on me.

Heres a close up of my punches.
In my quest to finish all my UFO's (UnFinished Objects) I pulled this out and 5months later have it finished and framed.

I used gorilla glue to adhere it flat up against my picture frame.

UndertheTableandDreaming

8 comments:

  1. It turned out really good!!! and Way to be inventive in your gift!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool project. I love punched tin art. Please add a link back to me or my party button within your post. I really rely on those link-backs. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow~ I love it! And a great phrase to go with it! Can I copy?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love punched tin and I love that you did this custom yourself. Thanks for sharing!

    Stopping by from T&J Weekend Wrap Up. Have a wonderful weekend!

    Lorene
    just Lu

    ReplyDelete
  5. Famr_4evr Of course! Knowing you and your talent yours will look better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cute idea and love the phrase,cute play on eternity too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just might have to copy this one!! It's awesomely cute!

    ReplyDelete